You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo iPad version support and wd wireless passport

Hi on your offical website it says that it only supports iPad Air 2 and later but on the iOS App Store it says different. I have an iPad 2 mini and wondering if it would work and another question does the iPad version support network shares as well as the cloud as I have a western digital passport wireless pro which is a portable wireless hard drive that can Import sd cards directly and can be accessed I don't if I have to import them into the iPad then transfer them back as they are raw files any explanation is gladly appreciated.

• Staff

Affinity Photo for iPad is compatible only with iPad Air 2, iPad 2017, iPad Pro 9.7-inch, 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch. The iPad version can access the passport wireless pro drive as long as the Western Digital app is installed.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have answered my question.  I don't have an iPad yet, but seeing the 10.5 pro and Affinity Photo makes me think it will meet my needs.  I want to use the iPad while traveling and possibly away from internet access.  It seems like I shouldn't have a problem getting photos from my camera onto the iPad and that Affinity will do a great job of processing the files as I am used to on my Mac.  I would like to be able to save processed files off the iPad to something like the WD Passport wireless.  It would also be nice to be able to view the files on the WD wireless drive.  Will this work as I expect?

So just to be clear; I can browse my files on the hard drive and directly open them into Affinity directly from the WD app, and then when I'm done editing I just have to save to google drive or iCloud Drive before transferring them back to the WD hard drive. Correct?

Fly_Boy, BeverlyE,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently you have to use the "Open in..." command WD's My Cloud app to open/send the file to Affinity Photo (iPad).

There's no way to export directly to the WD Drive at the moment.

So just to be clear; I can browse my files on the hard drive and directly open them into Affinity directly from the WD app, and then when I'm done editing I just have to save to google drive or iCloud Drive before transferring them back to the WD hard drive. Correct?

sort of... I have an older iPad (pre-retina) that has peaked at ios9.x... I just picked up a 3TB WD Wireless Pro for a trip and am testing it out now. I shoot exclusively in RAW... and therein lies the problem... sort of... WD's My Passport SW does not allow you to view RAW files... all it shows is the wonderful ? icon... so if you want to do any editing all I can figure out so far is to check out in your camera (before you take out your SD card) to see which ones you will want to edit, write down the file names and then once in WD My Passport do as MEB suggested above... "Open in..."... I can't use Affinity Photo for iPad... yet (soon with new iPad Pro) but I have followed this process using other iPad software. I can then save the edited photo wherever I want... back to another folder on the Wireless Pro, to iPad Photos app, to any of the available Clouds or to an SSD drive that is connected to the Wireless Pro (which btw is a very very quick transfer)

My hope is that with ios11 we will have a full functioning iPad file management system where a lot of this fiddling around becomes unnecessary. In the meantime, but definitely once iOS 11 becomes reality it would be nice if Affinity Photo for iPad had a browse feature that allowed us to scan, cull and then edit the photos we just downloaded to our WD Wireless Pro devices... 

• Staff

Hi Aperture_Hour,

After edit your image you can either Save A Copy (as an .afphoto file) to iCloud Drive or any cloud service you might be using, Export to a generic format (JPG, TIFF, PNG, PSD etc) again to iCloud Drive  (or any cloud service)

or Share (in the export screen) using the usual options there (including AirDrop).