You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo ipad questions

1. Just have a few questions, I currently have an iPad Air 2 and won't upgrade to the Pro right away (likely toward the end of Summer I expect). So, the videos and demos done using the iPad Pro look like impressive performance to me. Will the performance on my current iPad Air 2 be very disappointing/sluggish by comparison?

2. What would also be cool, is if you could somehow use your iPad Affinity linked wirelessly with the desktop Affinity, in concert with each other to get the benefit of touch control with the use of a larger, calibrated screen. Anything like that coming?

3. I know you can export .afphoto projects and pick up where you left via desktop Affinity, but can you go the other way too? ie. if I start an editing file with multiple edits, fx, and layers using desktop Affinity.. then export out as .afphoto... can I then import that file into Affinity Photo iPad with all of my layers, fx, edits still intact and pick up where I left off on the desktop?

4. Watched a couple of the videos and see AP iPad does include the 360VR still editing feature. Is this the very same set of 360VR features as in the desktop version?

5. In the share option for exporting, is AirDrop supported? Or, is there another direct way to go straight from the iPad export and into desktop AP? Or, do you need to save somewhere first and then open separately in AP after you've saved?

Hmmm... kind of odd. I asked these questions in the Affinity iPad thread, but they've been ignored. I thought maybe since it's more of an "announcement" thread, I'd look for an iPad questions thread (like this one). Still no answers. 

Then I thought it might be the time difference, but it appears staff are answering other questions. Is there something unreasonable about these questions? None of them are any sort of critique or anything. Just questions about the app that I didn't see answered in the tutorial videos. 

I cannot answer all your questions but I try a few.

1. Just have a few questions, I currently have an iPad Air 2 and won't upgrade to the Pro right away (likely toward the end of Summer I expect). So, the videos and demos done using the iPad Pro look like impressive performance to me. Will the performance on my current iPad Air 2 be very disappointing/sluggish by comparison?

I am using an iPad Air 2, too. I think AF Photo runs quite well on this device, though some things seem a bit sluggish. For instance if I want to scale an element either horizontally or vertically it takes its time to recognize what I want to do. Sometimes it won't work at all and I move the element instead. Another minor annoyance is that the pixel brush is a bit slow. Photo seems to ignore every second tap or so. (I tap in fast succession.) But I think its more likely a problem with the app. And it takes a while to load large images.

3. I know you can export .afphoto projects and pick up where you left via desktop Affinity, but can you go the other way too? ie. if I start an editing file with multiple edits, fx, and layers using desktop Affinity.. then export out as .afphoto... can I then import that file into Affinity Photo iPad with all of my layers, fx, edits still intact and pick up where I left off on the desktop?

At least on Windows (with version 1.5.2) I cannot open files from Photo on iPad (version 1.6.1). Which is ... ugh! 

5. In the share option for exporting, is AirDrop supported? Or, is there another direct way to go straight from the iPad export and into desktop AP? Or, do you need to save somewhere first and then open separately in AP after you've saved?

No AirDrop. The most direct way is to use iCloud Drive.

@Horst thank you! That's what I was afraid of. Maybe not mature enough yet. Not a criticism, as it only just now released... but maybe it's not quite ready for regular workflow using the desktop. I'll certain buy it, but at least I know that maybe I can't count on it to replace a laptop install just yet.

Ok, well... I took a gamble and went ahead and bought this. 

So far, on an Air 2... this seems like it was rushed to release for the Apple event and wasn't quite ready for primetime. I can't even get through the interactive walk-thru without it freezing up. I've tried to edit an image with the healing brush and inpaintinng, but it doesn't do anything to my image. Many of the filters don't respond. I restarted and tried again, inpainting was working, but then crashed without saving. Some filters started working too, but also ended up crashing with only a few parameter changes. 

I don't regret buying it yet. It looks like it's a powerful piece of software that will eventually be what I was looking for. But, it looks like it was far too early to come out of the Beta-testing oven. 

Fingers crossed the Affinity iPad team can get this up and stable where I could actually use it for something soon. Right now, there's no way I could rely on it for even basic work. 

UPDATE: I've been really excited about this new app but was so disappointed with my first foray after initial installation, so I deleted... reinstalled... then held down power button, then press home button for RAM reset. Then, I did 2 full-hard resets, ie. holding power and home button continuously until black screen and not launching. 

Then, I relaunched Affinity Photo iPad and tried the introductory walk-through again. This time it launched like it appears it was supposed to. Made it through the interactive intro without any issues at all. 

After that, I did a test image edit, full-res but not RAW yet. All of the filters now work fine. Everything I've tried so far works fine. It's even snappier that my initial install. I've found my old Adonit plain Dot Pro stylus is all I really need for the finer stuff. Nothing crashed. No freeze-ups. Now, although it might still be too early to tell... the impression is that it's stable and completely usable for an actual pro edit session. 

Thrilled!!!  :D 

I'm afraid I'm going to have to completely backpedal on my impression of Affinity Photo iPad. I thought everything was ok after a couple of hard resets and a reinstall... but I've spent the day battling with this app. Multiple freezes, crashes, etc. I've only got through one complete image edit. And, I've only tried to edit 3 different images. One was a 360VR image, one was a RAW image from an Olympus compact. The third was an 11mb jpeg from a Pansonic FZ1000. None of these are huge files, yet for some reason, the 1.2GB that Affinity Photo ipad was taking has ballooned to over 6GB already. WTF?!!!

I tried deleting everything I'd worked on but didn't get my storage back. The only thing that worked was deleting Affinity Photo iPad and reinstalling after yet another hard reset. 

I'm giving up on this app for now. Maybe it's better on an iPad Pro, but on an iPad Air 2, this it's the most disappointing app purchase I've made in recent years. No way I can use this for anything in it's current form. It looks like it has potential, but I'm going to forget about it until it's matured more. This looks like they rushed it to release for the Apple Event and it wasn't anywhere near ready to come out of beta. 

Sure hope Serif knows how to make this horror show into something worthwhile eventually. As it stands, I just wasted $20 and a boat load of time in an aggravating attempt to get this sad excuse for an image editing app to even do some of the most basic editing and saving.

I'm really hoping that this is the holy grail for iPad photo editing... I'm guessing it's so buggy because it's still got loads of wrinkles to iron out. One thing I don't get about the space this is taking up. After I install, the Apple storage setting shows it's taking up 1.29GB of space. After I open a low-res jpeg image, make 4 or 5 edits, then recheck the storage... that 1.29GB jumps up to 1.39GB. That's 100MB increase in storage from making 4-5 edits on a 4MB file. How can that be? Over the weekend, I tried editing 3 images, running through all the various features, etc. And my storage for Affinity Photo jumped up to 6GB.

Even after I delete the source images from Affinity Photo, the storage doesn't come back down to 1.29MB, even with everything deleted, it's still taking up the storage space. The only way I can get it back down to 1.29GB is if I delete Affinity and reinstall. 

Hi

I have the  iPad Air 2 So far no issues.

Perhaps there are some settings interfering have you tried Apple Support while they don't give support for 3rd party apps.

They have helped me trouble shoot when I was trying to find out where my settings were the issue.

Hi

I have the  iPad Air 2 So far no issues.

Perhaps there are some settings interfering have you tried Apple Support while they don't give support for 3rd party apps.

They have helped me trouble shoot when I was trying to find out where my settings were the issue.

Had nothing to do with settings. The launch build was a horror show. It's actually been MUCH better after the 1.6.2 update. This post thread was from the launch build that was not such a pleasant experience at all, to put it mildly. ;)

Still getting the occasional crash, but much more rare and the app is now saving where I left off. The memory problems seem to be gone as well.

At present, it's almost 5-star for me. Clearly the most powerful photo editor on iOS and approaching rivaling many respected desktop alternatives as well.

Just to answer one of your questions.

2. You can do this with a couple of 3rd party apps today. Granted it is an additional purchase but at least the option is there today and will work with any app, not just Affinity Photo:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astropad-standard/id934510730?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/duet-display/id935754064?mt=8

2. What would also be cool, is if you could somehow use your iPad Affinity linked wirelessly with the desktop Affinity, in concert with each other to get the benefit of touch control with the use of a larger, calibrated screen. Anything like that coming?

4. Watched a couple of the videos and see AP iPad does include the 360VR still editing feature. Is this the very same set of 360VR features as in the desktop version?

1 : I have an iPad Air 2 and a iPad Pro 12.9 2017... and it's VERY different. If you want to correct small images OK, but I retouch 36MP pictures in 16bits... and that is VERY slow on the iPad Air 2.

2 : no, but I can begin to retouch on the iPad and finish on the PC.

3 : I havent triedd yet, but it seems OK for me.

4, : dont know

5 : You can export via the "share button" on the iPAd, and so share with everything you want. But you can not export directly in the desktop app... you have to save a copy to store in a folder... and then open it in the desktop app