13 replies to this topic

#1 James Ritson

James Ritson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

Affinity Designer Online Help (Beta)

Hey all, we're happy to be able to tentatively offer you an online version of the in-app help! (Finally, I hear some of you say   ;) ) This is very much a test to determine whether having this resource available externally is useful for you. The link is below, and I'll briefly list some of the additional features we're able to implement as a result of having proper browser support:

• Dynamic language switching: The help will determine your language and (if it's available) serve you a localised copy of the help. If you prefer to read in another language, however, you'll find a combo box at the bottom left which will enable you to change languages - and stay on the page you're currently reading.
  • Print: Sounds simple, but with full browser support we can now implement printing of the topic pages. The print icon in the bottom left will give you a nicely formatted printout of the current topic.
  • Responsive: The help was responsive anyway, including off-canvas menu functionality so you could collapse the window and still read a topic, but this is taken further in this version of the help. The help is formatted nicely and usable even on a 4" iPhone SE screen.

Here's the link: Affinity Designer Online Help (Beta)

With this online version you'll be able to print out topics and view it on your tablets/phones, which are two of the most common requests when it comes to help feedback. Hope you find it useful!

• mac_heibu, ronnyb, A_B_C and 5 others like this

More than 200 Affinity Photo Video Tutorials

New set of Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more

500px for photography edited in Affinity Photo

#2 A_B_C

A_B_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

That is *pretty* useful …  :)

#3 Oval

Oval

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

Finally, I hear some of you say   ;)

Thanks, you have a very good ear! Woof!  ;)

Will there be the announced “search field above” in future?

In “At a Glance” you use the old persona icon 29512274lv.jpg. Will we get it back?  ;)

Nice to have: a notice of the (help) version and buttons to switch quickly the needed help versions (APu 3.9 Beta / AP 1.6.3 / ADam 1.7 / …)

#4 Gear maker

Gear maker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationUS, Arizona

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

What I like about this is that I can have Help open without it forcing itself to always reside on top.  With the in-app Help so much of the screen is always blocked that after having to move the Help a couple times I close it whether I'm done or not.  Except for missing a search field I think online Help will be a great help to us.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advɐncəd Məmbər

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

Hey all, we're happy to be able to tentatively offer you an online version of the in-app help!

Thanks, James. I'm pleased to report that this 'Designer Beta on Mac' feature works equally well for Windows users like me! :P

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.5.3.69, beta 1.6.0.72)Affinity Photo (1.5.2.69, beta 1.6.0.72) • APh for iPad 1.6.2 (but no iPad  yet!)

Windows 10 Home4th gen Core i3 CPU

#6 A_B_C

A_B_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

What I like about this is that I can have Help open without it forcing itself to always reside on top.  With the in-app Help so much of the screen is always blocked that after having to move the Help a couple times I close it whether I'm done or not.

Hi Mike,

there is a neat little trick for changing the behavior of the Help Viewer. Open Terminal and type

defaults write com.apple.helpviewer DevMode -bool true

followed by a Return, of course, and the Help Viewer will behave like any other window. Though the window bars will not change, the Help Viewer window can be moved to the background.*

Alex  :)

* Source: OSX Daily

Attached Thumbnails

• Help.png

• Gear maker likes this

#7 James Ritson

James Ritson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

Thanks, James. I'm pleased to report that this 'Designer Beta on Mac' feature works equally well for Windows users like me! :P

That's also good news! (I wasn't sure whether flooding every beta sub-forum with a thread would have been a good idea..)

You should hopefully find that the help viewed on a Windows system reports Windows-specific shortcuts and any other small platform changes. If anything seems terribly broken do let me know...

#8 Oval

Oval

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:51 AM

If anything seems terribly broken do let me know...

James, where is that “search field above”?

#9 Gear maker

Gear maker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationUS, Arizona

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

there is a neat little trick for changing the behavior of the Help Viewer. Open Terminal and type

defaults write com.apple.helpviewer DevMode -bool true

followed by a Return, of course, and the Help Viewer will behave like any other window. Though the window bars will not change, the Help Viewer window can be moved to the background.*

Alex good trick.  Now I assume if I reboot I need to run terminal again?

Mike

#10 A_B_C

A_B_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

No, this change should be persistent, Mike.  :)

#11 Gear maker

Gear maker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationUS, Arizona

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:46 PM

Alright, thanks Alex.

• A_B_C likes this

#12 VIPStephan

VIPStephan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 PM

I prefer offline help whenever it’s possible. I can’t stand the increasing trend of applications to connect to the internet (even require it sometimes) when it’s not necessary. And the sporadic content updates aren’t worth the effort, in my opinion.

• Oval likes this

#13 James Ritson

James Ritson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 401 posts

Posted Today, 06:41 AM

I prefer offline help whenever it’s possible. I can’t stand the increasing trend of applications to connect to the internet (even require it sometimes) when it’s not necessary. And the sporadic content updates aren’t worth the effort, in my opinion.

Stephan, the in-app help is offline - there has however always been a demand for an online accessible version of the help because people would like to reference it externally, view it on their tablets/phones, print pages off etc. Don't be alarmed as this does not replace the in-app version of the help in any way; it is simply designed to complement it.

#14 VIPStephan

VIPStephan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted Today, 08:57 AM

Yes, I figured that it wouldn’t replace the offline help. I just wanted to state that there are also people who don’t care about an online help or don’t want any in the first place, so that the discussion doesn’t seem too one-sided.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users