You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad with ios 11 beta - File type not supported

I am new to AP and just tried to open a photo from icloud that was taken on 7+ using the ios11 beta my ipad pro 10.5 is also ios11.  I am getting the error message:

Failed to open file

/private/var/mobile/containers/data/application/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/tmp//loading.HEIC

please point me to a thread or FAQ to resolve this.

post-62382-0-54382600-1497626918_thumb.jpg

• Staff

stueybaby,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forumsn.

HEIC is a new Apple specific file image format introduced in the iOS 11 beta. We do not support this (one week old) file format in the release build. We may choose to support it by the time the OS 11 is public in October.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

This should get fixed pretty soon - even if we do not implement HEIC.

It is trying to open the HEIC as a RAW file (which it is not), because it does not recognise the HEIC extension.

I'll change it so if the file is HEIC, we fall back to loading the full size JPEG version instead.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

This should get fixed pretty soon - even if we do not implement HEIC.

Even if we do not implement HEIC? That would be an awfully strange decision for a company that's gone all in on iOS with a brand new iPad version, and launched on macOS. To not support the native format on iOS cameras, not to mention the most popular camera in the world, would severely limit the utility of Affinity Photo on iOS, and macOS as well. Having just invested in Affinity photo for both macOS and iOS, I certainly hope that's not the decision the company makes.

• Staff

KBeat,

When I say "may support" I do not mean that we would choose not to be able to open HEIC files from the Photo album.

I mean that I am still not sure whether Apple intend HEIC to be generally used as a replacement for JPEG (everywhere - including web pages, etc.) or whether they just use it internally to make Photos more efficient.

If they intend it to be used globally, we will adapt our code to import / export it.

If they intend it to be used internally, we will make sure we import it, but will probably not support the export of it.

Thanks,

Andy.

So you're on iOS 11 on your iPad? Is Affinity Photo working as it should? I mean, can you import raw files from your photo library for example?

Any other problems? Is it worth trying out the beta on my iPad? The features look so intriguing.

So you're on iOS 11 on your iPad? Is Affinity Photo working as it should? I mean, can you import raw files from your photo library for example?

Any other problems? Is it worth trying out the beta on my iPad? The features look so intriguing.

If you try to open a photo take with the iPad or iPhone camera in iOS 11, Affinity Photo hangs. No message stating that HEIC isn't a supported format, the "opening from Photos" wheel simply spins and spins and you have to force quit the application. 

You can open iPhone or iPad photos taken with iOS 10 without issue.

I am able to open RAW images from my 5D Mark IV from iCloud and edit them. Performance is actually a bit better than under iOS 10, but that could be entirely my perception rather than actual improvement. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly I can upload the HEIC from photos to iCloud and import the image in Affinity Photo from there.

Don't know what's the difference because the file is still in HEIC format on iCloud.

BTW: When I download the image to my Mac I'm am also not able to open it there. It's a new format and I think we have to wait what apple plans to do with it exactly. When I send someone a HEIC image and he is not able to open it the new format makes litte sense. I think at the and apple has to convert the image to JPEG before download/send ...

• 2 months later...
  • Staff
3 hours ago, khoaoow said:

Hey guys, this is my online tool help to convert ios 11 photo in format heic to jpg. Feel free to let me know if you have any comments or feedback, thank you!
< link removed >

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

My comment would be I am not sure we can approve a link to a site which requires an upload (drag/drop) of a customers the image without knowing anything about the site and whether you are keeping copies of the HEIC files. I imagine people can internet search for such a service if they need one.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:28 AM, stueybaby said:

I am new to AP and just tried to open a photo from icloud that was taken on 7+ using the ios11 beta my ipad pro 10.5 is also ios11.  I am getting the error message:

Failed to open file

/private/var/mobile/containers/data/application/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/tmp//loading.HEIC

please point me to a thread or FAQ to resolve this.

post-62382-0-54382600-1497626918_thumb.jpg

Hi! This is because the iOS 11 changed the format of your images (from JPG to HEIC) so you will encounter these problems once you try to open the files with incompatible viewers. Unless you change the format, you won't be able to view your photos. For free and easy way, you can utilize Apowersoft Free HEIC to JPG. It's a web-based program that converts HEIC format to JPG. It's actually safe to use as it deletes your images after you converted your file. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, the problem is caused by the photo format .heic. It's a new photo container introduced by Apple in iOS 11. As for now, only iOS 11 devices like iPhone X, iPhone 8, etc. and macOS High Sierra could open it properly. Other platforms like Windows or Android can't even support it yet. In this case, you are suggested to firstly convert the specific HEIC picture to JPG, PNG or other more commonly used ones. I'm using Joyoshare HEIC Converter that could have this task done within on click. You may also try it.

• 4 months later...
On 2017/11/25 at 11:07 AM, gyptkeps said:

With the latest iOS upgrade, you can store image in JPG format: Settings -> Photos -> Formats -> Most compatible.

Another suggestion is to convert HEIC pictures to JPG. this is pretty simple according to this guide.

At the beginning, I wanted to keep this picture format, but I found that I couldn’t view the pictures after uploading to a Microsoft computer unless I use a heic converter change the format type.