You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening Raw Files in AP for iPad 1.6.2

I am trying this for the first time since updating to 1.6.2.  I took a few raw photos (just 6 for this first try), transferred them to my MBP from my canon camera, imported them into Mac Photos App.  Waited about an hour, opened AP on my ipad pro and selected Import from Photos.  None of the new raw photos show up.  I have wifi on setting for both ipad pro and mbp.  Am I doing this correctly?  Cant figure out why these new photos are not showing in AP iPad?

I do have Download and Keep Originals checked on my iPad Pro (new Gen 2 12.9" 10.3.2)

Well, they are now showing up when I click on Import from Photos, i.e. these latest 6 are visible in my camera roll so I guess it takes about 2 hours to show up.  

HERE'S THE ISSUE NOW!  I selected one, edited it.  Initially it came on the screen showing the Photo Persona but I clicked the Develop Persona and edited, clicked Develop.  Dont think that flow was correct but I got around it.  Then tried went on to edit another.  It shows up in the camera roll when trying to Import from Photos but when I click on it, that first one I edited/exported comes on the AP screen to edit again.  There is no way I can get another photo (Of these new 6) to show up.  I'm in a loop in AP...... I select a photo from Import from Camera, initial photo shows up, back out, select another photo, initial one shows up.

Maybe I should have put this in Bugs!

• Staff

Hi PhotoNewbie,

Adding RAW images to the Photos app on macOS and then opening them in Affinity Photo on iPad, wont open the RAW file, thats why it's not opening in the Develop Persona by default. I can't seem to replicate the other issue you have, can you please confirm the steps one by one from opening the first image from the camera roll.

Sure...

Transfer from canon 5d mark iii by usb to macbook photo

Photo set to open when camera is connected

Import all 6 new photos to mbp Photo

Open AP App on ipad pro 12.9 generation 2 running 10.3.2

Tap + sign on AP screen

Tap Import from Photos

I found out it takes about 2 hours for the photos that I imported from camera to mac Photos in AP. Even tho WIFI is turned on in both devices and Settings are set for Photos to show on all my devices. I can see all older Photos just not the newly imported ones. So after waiting for the photos to show up, I can edit one and then I am caught in the loop mentioned above. No matter what photo I try to open, the one I just edited keeps opening back up.

Well, add this to my now long list of Questions that I dont get answered. So, I'm now rambling here rather than starting another question that probably wont get answered.

As in: How long do you guys have to wait until the Raw photos you transferred from your camera to Mac then saved to icloud drive, show up in order to be opened in AP/iPad?

Because I am finding that in answer to my OP question....if I perform the process as described in my post directly above this one and wait until the next day to open one of the photos in AP to edit on my iPad AND with no loop occurring, they are all there to edit. If I try to open to edit the same day I complete the transfer from camera/load into icloud drive, no new photos are visible in AP or they do show up after a couple hours but the loop described above occurs. Confusing question, Probably, sorry.

• Staff

Hi PhotoNewbie,

The time it takes to your photos imported to Apple Photos on desktop appear on all your devices depends on Apple (iCloud services) and the type of connection you have available and also on the file size. Sometimes this is almost instantaneous, other times it may take some time. In any case we don't have any control over this process. We are only able to access images stored in Apple Photos on your iPad no matter how they ended up there.

I'm also not able to reproduce your loop issue. Not sure how you are getting the older edited file again if you are importing a new one from Photos app. How are you saving the first edited file? Are you using the Save A Copy command, Export command or the Share functionality? If using the Share functionality which command are you using?

First, thank you for this quick response. I am using Export to icloud drive command after my editing process. Then when I am trying to open the next photo that IS showing from my initial transfer f/camera/icloud drive, instead of the photo I select, the photo I just completed editing/exported back to icloud dive shows back up. But, like I said above, if I just wait until next day, after getting my photos from my camera to icloud drive, can use AP as it is supposed to work. I do have the best internet speed offered in my rural area, 5 mbps, but that does not cause me any issue anywhere else i.e. buffering in youtube videos, streaming movies on tv. Could very well be my problem with AP on ipad, causes no issues on my Mac but I guess that's since its a different process. Anyway I was just asking others if they experienced this same delay with hen transferring their photos f/camera before able to open in AP for iPad.