You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sure thing. If you do assign shortcuts, then they will be in Preferences - Keyboard Shortcuts - View menu - Rotate Left/Right.

For finger gestures, Preferences - Tools - Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2017 at 11:18 PM, MEB said:

Hi Bubily,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, sorry. There was several improvements to the app since then but there wasn't changes here yet.

Hi, new user here. My issue is that I am trying to transition away from Illustrator and need to open a lot of legacy files and all of the strokes I've used the Illustrator Width Tool on are now all expanded.

I really hope that they'll be some news on the Affinity implementation of the Width Tool soon.

3 hours ago, cyk said:

Hi, new user here. My issue is that I am trying to transition away from Illustrator and need to open a lot of legacy files and all of the strokes I've used the Illustrator Width Tool on are now all expanded.

That doesn't sound good. There is an option in the Stroke tab to change a stroke's profile (pressure), so I would think something like that should be identified. Since this topic is on an actual width tool, you might be better off making a new topic requesting for that compatibility. It might get lost here. Good luck to you. 

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 years later...
On 2/8/2020 at 4:18 PM, Solomon Sevens said:

For me I feel the pressure panel is too small. I would like to be able to manually resize it as needed. Currently, it feels tedious to make precise adjustments because it is too small.

2020-02-08_14-26-25.png

Too small, and also not visible at all times like it was in DrawPlus.  It's a chore to use this one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2014 at 8:32 AM, boudewijndanser said:

Just downloaded the beta and it looks promising!

Line width was the first thing I was looking for, I use it a lot in Illustrator.

I found the pressure button after searching the forums and landing here.

Here is how I think it could be improved:

• Put the adjustment / controls on the anchor point. 
    You want to be able to adjust lines and point right on your artboard after you've drawn them, not through menu's and panels.
  • Show preview lines of what my width will look like after I release the controls.
    Now you you see it happening while making points in the pressure window, but it's too far apart / not linked enough.
  • Keep the lines fluid, don't auto-add to many points.
  • Make it more about controlling "point thickness" like in Illustrator.
    I think a lot of (vector) illustrators want total control over their lines, the width, but also the anchor points and how they bend/ curve.

If done right I think this would be a great selling point / feature for Affinity Designer!

Suggestion.png.1ade75a8a5a1882b2e9c0c44dd23e50f.png

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Yes, please.

I'll post this here too. The Width Tool equivalent gets my vote. Setting the stroke profile in profile edit does not directly correlate to the actual path. Adjusting line width is very cumbersome and results are not very smooth. Having direct control of the line itself would be great. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2014 at 8:59 PM, nametag said:

Probably on my top 10 most used features in Illustrator is the stroke width tool, which allows you to adjust the width of the stroke at each anchor point.  This can somewhat be achieved using the Pressure tab within the pen line settings, but it isn't nearly as precise.

A couple of solutions might be:

• Add a stroke width tool to allow anchor points to be adjusted.
  • Within the pressure panel, display a point on the graph for every anchor point from the shape.  And allow these to be adjusted only vertically on the graph by holding shift, so that they stay on the anchor points.
  • Create a new panel in the pen menu that allows for a numerical value to be entered in for stroke width.

Thanks for listening.

August 2014 - a year before the birth of Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge but in a mere few months, we shall mark the tenth, utterly substantial year since this plea was first voiced, and I am at a loss to comprehend why this feature has yet to grace Designer with its presence. Each instance necessitating its use, I am confronted with the sheer inadequacy of the current curve profile for the task at hand (read: entirely and utterly worthless), followed by a moment spent in woeful contemplation of its woefully low priority compared to every conceivable alternative. And whilst I have, from project to project, managed to employ other software for sought-after features such as blend, this particular feature remains conspicuously absent in Designer, its absence glaring as if from across the vastness of space from Pluto itself.

We now approach the decade mark of this creative shortfall, and the reliance on workarounds has exacted a toll measured not merely in moments but in much much much more. It thus compels me to forsake tasks in Affinity, turning my gaze and efforts towards alternative software.

Charlotte today:

image.png.0850298eeb85a2c2c58871cd09fe7aaa.png

Original poster?

image.png.b5b63388f9c540ed38d35fa432e0785d.png

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces. I know, of course, that Canva guarantees the opposite.

"The opinion of 10000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject" - Marcus Aurelius

macOS/iPadOS M1 + M2 (latest)