#1001 Alfred

Alfred

Advɐncəd Məmbər

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

I too was just about to ask which program you are referring to. I plan on making a beginner video tutorial on Designer after 1.6 is released since I think some of the new features are pretty crucial. If you're referring to Photo, I do have some tutorials that might be helpful. (Not to advertise, but just to help.)

Video 1

Video 2

Why do you want us to skip the first eight seconds of the first video? :unsure:

• Ismaelchime and jamnik121 like this

Alfred online2long.gif

Affinity Designer (release build 1.5.2.58) • Affinity Photo (release build 1.5.1.54) Windows 10 Home • 4th gen Core i3 CPU

#1002 bleduc

bleduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Why do you want us to skip the first eight seconds of the first video? :unsure:

That sounds like some YouTube issue. I only the copied the web address; not any point of time in that video.

#1003 Clarence Dickerson

Clarence Dickerson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

I do not know which program I have, but I will know soon.  I did not realize there were more than one.  I just saw Affinity Photo in the App store and thought I would give it a try.  I did find some tutorials that were much more oriented to the beginner after I posted this.  I will research which program I have and look at the tutorials again.  Thank you for your answers.  I am pleased that there is so much help available for me to access.  Thanks again Alfred and Bleduc.  

#1004 Alfred

Alfred

Advɐncəd Məmbər

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

I do not know which program I have, but I will know soon.  I did not realize there were more than one.  I just saw Affinity Photo in the App store and thought I would give it a try.  

If what you found in the Mac App Store was Affinity Photo, then you already know the answer to the question: you have Affinity Photo (APh) rather than Affinity Designer (AD). APh is an image editor, aimed at users who want to work with photos and other bitmap/raster images; AD also has some bitmap editing capabilities, but it's primarily a vector drawing app.

Alfred online2long.gif

Affinity Designer (release build 1.5.2.58) • Affinity Photo (release build 1.5.1.54) Windows 10 Home • 4th gen Core i3 CPU

#1005 bleduc

bleduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

You're welcome. If you have a blue triangle in the corner, then you have Designer. If it's a purple triangle, then it's Photo. Since you said you'll give Affinity Photo a try, then I would think that is what you would have.  :P

#1006 Canuck

Canuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:55 PM

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Clarence. :)

There are currently two programs in the Affinity suite: Designer and Photo. Which one do you have?

There are many video tutorials and some written material for both apps. Take a look at the Tutorials section of the 'Learn and Share' forum.

I have BOTH OF THEM. *stands tall with that 'I am better than you look' pride* 

#1007 JeffrySG

JeffrySG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Hello all!

I'm another long time Adobe Photoshop (cough cough since version 1!)  and Illustrator user coming on board here. I've also been around since the early Pagemaker and Freehand days and it's nice to see some new great applications now. I primarily work on my own now and was happy to find some other options that didn't require large monthly payments. I've been pretty impressed with Photo and Designer and while I can see some features that will really help them get more robust they're off to an amazing beginning.

I've been slowly getting comfortable switching my creative workflow to only use the Affinity products. My first big project was a science / astronomy education site for young people that I created. All the illustrations and graphics were created with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer with a few other supporting applications as well. The Universe from A to Z

It's nice to see a great community and forum here!

Jeff

• SrPx, fernand0n and fernandolins86 like this

Work site: Pixel and Poly

Introduction to astronomy and the universe website (all images were created with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer): The Universe from A to Z

#1008 bleduc

bleduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:36 PM

Hey Jeffery,

That's some cool stuff. I am into space as well. I was hoping N would stand for Nebula.  :P I was just curious to hear what might be explained about it since I seem to be obsessed with it. I have a science fiction I created in which unknown particles in a nebular act like molecules in trees to help sustain life, but they can even recreate it.

• SrPx and JeffrySG like this

#1009 JeffrySG

JeffrySG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

Hey Jeffery,

That's some cool stuff. I am into space as well. I was hoping N would stand for Nebula.  :P I was just curious to hear what might be explained about it since I seem to be obsessed with it. I have a science fiction I created in which unknown particles in a nebular act like molecules in trees to help sustain life, but they can even recreate it.

Thanks!

Yeah, I had so many topics I wanted to cover, and Nebula was definitely on there, but I really wanted to include all the planets (which is why M gets two). If I do a version 2 or add other items nebula would definitely be there! I would get most of my information from NASA and Wikipedia sources. There are so many amazing nebula images out there - as well as info! I'm not exactly sure what I'd put in the info for nebula. I would spend a lot of time going through each subject and then try to take it down to a very easy to understand paragraph but still keep it true to the science.

• SrPx likes this

Introduction to astronomy and the universe website (all images were created with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer): The Universe from A to Z

#1010 Alfred

Alfred

Advɐncəd Məmbər

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:09 AM

and then try to take it down to a very easy to understand paragraph

... without getting too nebulous, of course! :P

• JeffrySG likes this

Alfred online2long.gif

#1011 bleduc

bleduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:51 AM

I would spend a lot of time going through each subject and then try to take it down to a very easy to understand paragraph but still keep it true to the science.

Sounds good. I don't know if it would stay true to science since it might be more a legend, but another thing you can include is Nibiru. It's the name of Planet X and it is believed by people that it will create a massive destruction to Earth's atmosphere. I think some believe it is also an entity. I can't say I believe that though, but it's still interesting.

• JeffrySG likes this

#1012 fernandolins86

fernandolins86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

Hello all!

I'm another long time Adobe Photoshop (cough cough since version 1!)  and Illustrator user coming on board here. I've also been around since the early Pagemaker and Freehand days and it's nice to see some new great applications now. I primarily work on my own now and was happy to find some other options that didn't require large monthly payments. I've been pretty impressed with Photo and Designer and while I can see some features that will really help them get more robust they're off to an amazing beginning.

I've been slowly getting comfortable switching my creative workflow to only use the Affinity products. My first big project was a science / astronomy education site for young people that I created. All the illustrations and graphics were created with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer with a few other supporting applications as well. The Universe from A to Z

It's nice to see a great community and forum here!

Jeff

That's a really neat project, congrats!

• SrPx and JeffrySG like this

#1013 Brownfox

Brownfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself, as I predict I will be posting here every so often to help or get help

I'm a hobby graphic designer, and by that I mean very much a beginner. I've done some police badges and car designs, and I'm looking to up my skills and software. I cut my teeth on Inkscape, but it runs a little slow on my mac, and the UI isn't as pretty as all the other apple stuff so I bought affinity designer.

Immediately I was frustrated with trying to join two nodes, but I figured it out. I have a feeling if i put the same time into this as I did with Inkscape I'll be better off with AD.

I look forward to learning from you guys and searching first, and maybe one day contributing!

Jon
  • Madame and gdenby like this

#1014 JeffrySG

JeffrySG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself, as I predict I will be posting here every so often to help or get help

I'm a hobby graphic designer, and by that I mean very much a beginner. I've done some police badges and car designs, and I'm looking to up my skills and software. I cut my teeth on Inkscape, but it runs a little slow on my mac, and the UI isn't as pretty as all the other apple stuff so I bought affinity designer.

Immediately I was frustrated with trying to join two nodes, but I figured it out. I have a feeling if i put the same time into this as I did with Inkscape I'll be better off with AD.

I look forward to learning from you guys and searching first, and maybe one day contributing!

Jon

Welcome aboard, Jon!

#1015 gdenby

gdenby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Location"Michiana," USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

Jon

I've struggled off and on w. Inkscape on Mac for years. While there are lots of good things about it, the interface seems incredibly awkward, and performance under X-windows leaves a lot to be desired.

AD's interface is extensive. Lots of stuff to dig thru, but its laid out pretty well. I still forget sometimes where various things are tucked away.

And the performance is superb, IMO.

I'd suggest you spend some time messing with the built in shapes. There are more than 20, they all have multiple variations, and the cornering tool can add even more variety. With those, and the boolean geometry operations, there are a very large number of things that one may draw w/o using hand drawing.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 8 Gb AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

#1016 bleduc

bleduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

Hi Brownfox, and welcome to the Affinity forums.

I say it was a smart choice to go with Affinity. I use it practically every day, and it's easy to see that the staff really push themselves in updates and bug fixes. So it's in really good hands. Once you get the hang of the software, it becomes so easy to use, but just like any program, it can still have a steep learning curve. And I think I may have gotten addicted to the forums, so you should see me quite often. I hope you don't get sick of me.  :D

I never actually liked Inkscape. I think it's a good program for the basics, but I wouldn't call it a serious competitor to Illustrator. I know Designer still has more to accomplish, and Inkscape is better in some levels, but overall, Designer behaves and feels more professional.

#1017 dominik

dominik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

Hello Jon,

for a good start I recommend the many instruction and tutorial videos you can find on Vimeo.

Have fun!

d.

• Brownfox likes this

Affinity Designer 1.5.1.43 (and 1.5.3.63beta) - Affinity Photo 1.5.1.54 (and 1.5.2.63beta) - Windows 10 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

#1018 Brownfox

Brownfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

I agree with the more professional part that designer has over Inkscape.  But I'm so grateful for Inkscape for being my gateway into this.  I was able to design graphics for my police department's cars and motorcycles.  Of course I'm grateful for them almost paying me to learn it in a way.

I don't learn well by just watching a video to start, I do much better when I try and figure it out and when I can't connect something in 5-10 minutes I google it and watch the video.  I like to learn the hard way, can't stop for the life of me.  I have to have an objective before I absorb anything.

I should say my goals with this program are fairly simple.  My primary one is to be able to design morale patches for the law enforcement community.  Memorial stuff, funny stuff, that can be turned into stickers and patches at a local shop.

#1019 Dodge

Dodge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

Hi guys, as an independent designer I'm sick and tired of adobes stranglehold on my creativity...... Their recent cloud and subscription model is an affront to everything I believe in not to mention the lack of security for my sensitive clients (cc) ....... I currently create assets for 3D games and obviously like all of my peers need support for tga output......... All game engines require this and is a huge market, considering the fact that 3D licenses are so painfully expensive affinity need to seriously address this issue and offer tga support along with integration with substance and Quixel this would give them a massive leverage over Adobe and free the thousands of 3D and 2d games artists from the tyranny of Adobe ..... I have spent thousands over the years supporting this unholy cartel because there is no other viable alternative in my pipeline..... Affinity/serif need to LISTEN ...... You guys could make a difference and become heroes if only you would add tga support ..... The day that happens I'd switch in a heartbeat! Death to Adobe! ......... But you guys MUST deliver what we need!

#1020 marokero

marokero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:37 AM

Hello everyone, my name is Alberto, a former wedding photographer, and current DSLR lens repair technician. I have been working with photography and a bit of graphic design since the early 90s, but the type of photography I really enjoy is landscapes. It gives me serenity that I could never get from shooting weddings!

I have used the other guys' photo editing software for around 24 years, and absolutely hated the subscription model when it was introduced. Then I saw Affinity Photo on the Mac and was so jealous that it wasn't offered on Windows at the time. But now that it is, I couldn't be happier! I can use all of my plugins, with the exception of one: Andromeda Cutline. It's an old plugin, and the company has stopped development of that plugin back in 2014. Every time I try to use it Affinity Photo crashes :-( Luckily it's is very rare that I use that plugin, so I am in no rush to get this resolved. I have yet to tap all the features of Affinity Photo, but look forwards to learning! 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users