You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Public Beta (1.1.2.24216)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements / Fixes

Requirements: None

Mac App Store: Not submitted

New beta sign-ups: https://affinity.serif.com/photo

Update: Run the app to get the link

Features / Improvements / Fixes

- New "Information" panel - including mouse location and placeable colour samplers.
- New customisable grid - including custom axis and snapping support.
- New deinterlace filter.
- New elliptical / rotating cursor previews.
- Crop tool improvements.
- Lens distortion improvements.
- Dither filter improvements.
- Mesh warp tool improvements.
- Colour picker improvements.
- Help improvements.
- Numerous stability improvements.

• Staff

The grid and axis feature is a work in progress.  It's all there under the hood, but I'm still adding the UI.

The one feature that will really make sense later is the "Create plane set" option.  This will allow you to create parallel projection plane grids, for front, side and top planes.  You define your three axis, for X, Y and Z (labelled "First", "Second" and "Up"), then you can toggle between the planes these axis create using the , (comma) key.  I'll add some UI later to show which plane you are using.  This will affect the snapping grid, and the angles you constrain to when pressing Shift when creating and dragging handles.  I'm working on a feature for moving the grid origin.  You will then be able to place (and snap) the grid origin to an object, then cycle through the planes in order to draw directly using that plane.

Snapping will also adhere to the axis you define.  When dragging objects, the bounds they snap to will follow the axis lines.  This will be handy for isometric drawing as you will be able to snap on isometric lines, etc.

When these features are more complete I'm sure we'll make some videos demoing their use.

And, snap to pixel has been revamped so that it complements other snapping better.  You'll see the new "Move By Whole Pixels" option - if you turn this off you will be able to snap/correct path handles/nodes and object bounds onto pixel boundaries.  With it on, all movements are quantised to a whole pixel.

Now, snapping will prioritise guides, grid and candidates bounds before it then snaps to pixel.  Should all feel a lot more intuitive.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

...and we're not finished there!

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ben, there is no HELP explanation for the Color Replacement Brush. It's appear it has been fix from the original Beta release. Thanks.

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

I just want to say that as a complete novice this software is simply superb, I appreciate its still early days re this beta (apparently), but the range of features, functionality, options, UI,  and ease of use make this software a joy.

I apologise for not being an expert user and for not knowing any technical terms but I am learning quickly.

Thank you also to the many expert and very knowledgable users who are unknowingly helping me to improve and understand this software more and the techniques you use. I am trying out the latest updates to this beta -  wow.

Ben you guys are killing it! What an amazing update, grids are awesome! I made a post on the AD forum about adding user defined color for guides and grids, and being able to Load and Save Grid layouts would be dope! Keep up the great work!!

The grid and axis feature is a work in progress.  It's all there under the hood, but I'm still adding the UI.

The one feature that will really make sense later is the "Create plane set" option.  This will allow you to create parallel projection plane grids, for front, side and top planes.  You define your three axis, for X, Y and Z (labelled "First", "Second" and "Up"), then you can toggle between the planes these axis create using the , (comma) key.  I'll add some UI later to show which plane you are using.  This will affect the snapping grid, and the angles you constrain to when pressing Shift when creating and dragging handles.  I'm working on a feature for moving the grid origin.  You will then be able to place (and snap) the grid origin to an object, then cycle through the planes in order to draw directly using that plane.

Snapping will also adhere to the axis you define.  When dragging objects, the bounds they snap to will follow the axis lines.  This will be handy for isometric drawing as you will be able to snap on isometric lines, etc.

When these features are more complete I'm sure we'll make some videos demoing their use.

And, snap to pixel has been revamped so that it complements other snapping better.  You'll see the new "Move By Whole Pixels" option - if you turn this off you will be able to snap/correct path handles/nodes and object bounds onto pixel boundaries.  With it on, all movements are quantised to a whole pixel.

Now, snapping will prioritise guides, grid and candidates bounds before it then snaps to pixel.  Should all feel a lot more intuitive.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Affinity apps are truly amazing and getting better and better each time. I wish better support for UI designers and 3D guys. HDRI, OpenEXR and such support.

I agree that support for 16-bit OpenEXR is a must, since all 3D-renders spit out that format. 32-bit HDRI not as important IMO. 

still sorting it out; I'm a Photoshop user looking for alternatives. I seem to use PS's HDR stacking a fair bit, I don't see a workaround in Photo. Am I missing something, or is this not done?

So much progress!! Totally impressive! Sorry for not having been around for ages - Doc insisted to not even touch a mouse for over 2 month, otherwise CTS ( no more mouse use ever...).

Anyway I have been able to do a lot of sketching (lefty) and will give both apps a spin to do some finished illustrations ;)

Cheers, Les.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.