You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Public Beta (1.2.1.25787)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes

Requirements: None

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: http://affinity.seri...m/beta-download

Update: Run the app to get the link / click download above.

Features / Improvements / Fixes

- New “Merge Selected” function.
- New “Outline Selection” function.
- Printing improvements (phase 1).
- New capability to use Develop Persona on any pixel layer.

- Develop Persona has new UI and improved grouping.
- Develop Persona engine improvements.
- Develop red-eye improvements.
- Develop overlays can have opacity.
- Develop overlays can affect saturation, vibrance.
- Develop overlays can be elliptical, radial gradients.
- Develop presets improved.
- Develop blemish removal improvements.
- Develop brush improvements.
- Improved aperture readout in Develop Persona.

- New channels page capabilities, including spare channels.
- Create spare channels from any channel - including composite channels.
- Set / Add / Subtract / Intersect spare channels with pixel selection.
- Set spare channels to layer channels.
- Work in progress - more capabilities coming soon!

- Ability to choose the colour mixing model in the mixer brush.
- Scope page improvements, including graticule / overlays.
- Histogram has a more compact default appearance - details can be shown using the burger menu.
- Clone / heal brush improvements.
- Tool customisation panel now shows tooltips.
- Noise reduction improvements.
- Restored EXIF writing on export.
- ICC profiles correctly embedded on export.
- Exposure adjustment is in stops, not %.
- Text box for gamma value in levels adjustment.
- Refine selection improvements.
- Cmd-W now hides the window when no documents are open.
- Can turn off matting in the selection refiner.
- Slice export line weight issues resolved.
- All marquee tools can pan the view when you drag near the edge.
- Freehand selection tool polygon improvements.
- Added a button to the context toolbar of raster brush tools to force Pressure to act as the controller for size variance.
- Crop tool cycling of overlay using ‘O’ key.
- Space+Cmd zoom modifier improvements.
- Ctrl+Alt brush size modifier improvements.
- Attempt to make the colour picker work more effectively with tablets - it was tricky to release the stylus without moving and hence picking a colour that wasn’t the one you wanted!
- Fix for text composition issues on multi-lined Art Text objects.
- Tweaked slider look.
- Significant vector export improvements, including presets.
- Fix for SVG export of selected region.
- PSD export now supports presets.
- PDF import improvements.
- Improved default set of brushes.
- New samples.

- Help improvements.

I also think the Develop Persona is far better than before, but I have seen what appears to be a much reduced range of adjustments in the Shadows slider under the Highlights/Shadows adjustment. In fact in some of my new images (I just returned from a camping trip) I can barely see the difference between all-the-way left and all-the-way right on the Shadows slider.

The Highlights/Shadows adjustments in the Photo persona seem to offer much more range and, since I don't normally develop in APB, I am not sure it is that much of a problem for me, but it does seem a lot more restrictive than earlier releases.

The Shadows/Highlights adjustment in Develop and Photo is not a "go to" tool for me - don't normally use it at all in Develop and rarely in Photo.  But, in the interests of feedback to the developers, I find the same behaviour as described by Mike.  Minimal effect in the Develop and all you could ask for in the Photo persona.   

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Hi,
I'm still not very happy with the automatic conversion in the color workspace for images without profile, but thank you for button labels "assign" and "convert". Its better like this ;)
In the develop module, why some input profiles are ignored, including profiles whose device class is scnr ?
Apn profiles are in this class.

@JerryLin

I've just completed the topic for the Help, so the information regarding Outline Selection should appear in the next build.

Basically, with a selection in place, from the Select menu, choose Outline.

In the dialog, the Radius will expand your selection by the width you state - this can be done from the centre, outside or inside of the current selection edges. The resulting selection will be the shape of the original selection, but of a thickness set by the radius.

As an example, a circular selection area will become a donut selection area.

Hope this helps.

I'd love to find out the editing you guys do using this feature.

Thanks.

Great release.

On my end I'm glad they activated the ability to use the Develop Persona on any Pixel Layer. ( Mentioned in another thread)

Also the "Merge Selected" Layers was an addition I was waiting for. Looked for it on the Layers Palette but was missing. 

Found it on the Layer Menu (which is the obvious place to look for it)  :) . But would be good to have it also in the Layers Palette/tools as a contextual menu option (Alongside Merge Visible) Hopefully it can added in the next Beta.

Thanks to the development team.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

I am also anxious to get the chance to buy the released product, but I personally feel there is a need for two issues to be addressed. One is the exif information that is still missing from jpgs (which is my normal final output format) as well as gps location information missing from tiffs. The second is the lack of full support in this version for plugin functionality. Several of my plugins (PerfectlyClear, Dxo Optics Pro ViewPoint 2) don't work at all and others, like my Topaz plugins, only work in a spotty fashion.

I am sure both will be addressed soon and then I will be happy to buy it. It has already become part of my normal workflow and completely replaced Photoshop on my system and I also would like a formal legal copy so I can count of having it to use in the future.

Hi laurentia,

This was needed to ensure both Affinity Designer and Photo latest betas work from a clean state. This may happen a few more times as we move trough the rest of Affinity Photo development to prevent false/unexpected behaviours/bugs generated by conflicts with old files/settings.

Thank you ;)

I'm more worried about the camera profiles issue (post #13 above) ... and the default space sRGB is a very bad choice ... ;)

Hello @laurentia

Could you expand on this a little please?  Your post #13 referred to scnr profiles, not camera ones, and while sRGB may not be your preferred default, is it not pushing things a bit to call it "a very bad choice".

Thanks

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Hello @laurentia

Could you expand on this a little please?  Your post #13 referred to scnr profiles, not camera ones, and while sRGB may not be your preferred default, is it not pushing things a bit to call it "a very bad choice".

Thanks

Hello billtils,

Camera profiles (in fact all input profiles) are tagged with the device class "scnr" and this class is unfortunately ignored in the dropdown list. So the existing camera profiles does not appear.

For against, printing profiles (device class "prtr") appear but as they can not agree.

The camera profiles characterize a physical device, a color workspace can not agree. Furthermore, the gamut of a camera is much wider than the sRGB. So not only sRGB does not characterize the properties of the camera but he cuts off  his gamut.

Sorry for my bad english ...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.